We use our own and third-party cookies to personalize content and to analyze web traffic. Read more about cookies
Overview and Scope of this policy:
We will inform you and require your acceptance again when there are any material changes to the Policy.
This Policy applies to all persons, whether a natural or juristic person to whom personal information relates, whose personal information we collect. Furthermore, it applies to all personal information, whether it was provided to us through our websites, mobile applications or through any other form of communication such as email, telephone, or any other channel.
Personal Information we collect:
Personal information we collect about you is dependent on:
- The channel used to communicate and interact with us
- The reason you are communicating / interacting with us
- The transaction you are completing
Amongst others, we collect your Personal Information when you:
- browse, visit or interact with us in our various Channels;
- complete forms, sign up for an account, or subscribe or register to access or use our services
- purchase, return or exchange products from us;
- make general enquiries, lodge complaints, and communicate with us;
- voluntarily provide us with information for example when you send us online enquiries, or you subscribe to or consent to receiving newsletters or other communications from us;
Types of Personal Information we collect:
Personal information we collect about you may include:
- Name & Surname
- Address details including postal address and physical address,
- contact information including e-mail address, primary and secondary telephone numbers,
- billing information,
- additional information which we are required or permitted by applicable legislation to collect and process in order to provide products and services to you
- any information you elect to share publicly, including on social media and customer forums
Cookies and how we use them
- A “cookie” is also set on your computer to allow us to recognize you whenever you visit and collect information, like the pages you visit and the preferences you choose. We use the information we collect for statistical purposes and to study how the First Ascent site is used so that we may improve and enhance your experience on the First Ascent. We may provide such information collected to outside service providers located overseas for such purposes. No personal information is stored in cookies. It is possible for you not to accept our cookies while using the First Ascent site by setting the preference in your web browser. If you would like more information about cookies, you can visit http://www.cookiecentral.com/n_cookie_faq.htm. Note that some features of the site may not work if cookies are disabled.
- We may use Google Analytics and / or other similar analytical tools to obtain information collected in order to display, optimize and personalize the user experience on our web and digital properties.
- In order to enhance the usefulness of the First Ascent site and our services, First Ascent will collect data about our users’ use of First Ascent site/s, in a manner that does not include any Personal Information. While you browse the First Ascent site, we note which pages of the site you visit and note the IP address of your computer (as all web sites do automatically). The general information we gather enables us to serve our users better by continually enhancing the First Ascent site based on up-to-date use patterns. We may use this information to enhance or modify our campaigns that are designed to bring web visitors to the First Ascent site. You may opt-out of this anonymous data collection and sharing activity by visiting the Google Analytics Privacy Overview web page and following the procedures noted under the Browser Opt-Out and Privacy Center information sections (search for these sites through www.google.com).
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
First Ascent limits the use and disclosure of personal information to include only what is permitted and prescribed in terms of the NCA, PoPIA or any other applicable laws or in instances where consumers have consented to such collection, use and disclosure.
Compliance with laws and regulations. We may only access, use and/or disclose your Personal Information without your consent in exceptional circumstances. These include circumstances where we believe such action is necessary to:
- comply with the law or legal process served on us;
- comply with requests for information from police or government authorities;
- protect and defend our rights or property (including the enforcement of our agreements); protect the public interest;
- act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our employees or members of the public;
- where applicable, with your implied consent;
- and to the extent permitted or required in terms of the NCA, PoPIA and other relevant national legislation.
Retention Of Your Information
We retain your Personal Information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws and your consent to such purpose(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
Transfer of Personal Information Outside
Unless permitted under the law or your consent is obtained, First Ascent will not transfer your Personal Information outside the Republic of South Africa.
First Ascent is not responsible for how such parties collect, use or disclose your information and it is important for you to familiarize yourself with their privacy policies before providing them with your Personal Information.
You have the following rights in respect of your personal information we process
- you may enquire from us whether we hold your personal information. Note that we will only provide you with this information when you provide us with adequate proof of your identity such as an identity document, a driver’s licence or passport.
- where necessary, request the correction or deletion of your personal information;
- object to, restrict or limit the processing of your personal information;
- If you want to unsubscribe from any email marketing, you can do so by selecting the unsubscribe link on the most recent email that you received from us;
- You can update your website information – address, contact details etc. by logging on to the First Ascent website and amending these details under your Profile
We will acknowledge your request as required under applicable data protection laws. However, the rights mentioned in this Policy are not absolute: the rights do not always apply, and exemptions may be applicable. We will ask you to verify your identity and/or ask you information to assist us in better understanding your request. In the event we do not comply with your request, we will explain why.
First Ascent Head Office is located at:
3rd Floor, Gatehouse Building, Black River Park
1 Fir Street, Observatory
Should we have reasonable grounds to believe that your personal information has been accessed or acquired by any unauthorised person, we will, as soon as is reasonably possible and lawfully required, notify the applicable regulator, as well as yourself, unless we are unable to establish the identity of the personal information that has been unlawfully accessed.